The all age men’s soccer sides compete again on Friday, June 9, when Moruya Swans take on Broulee Stingrays, whilst the Bay and Clyde meet each other once more in their reverse fixture.

Games start at 6pm at Gundary Oval with a sausage sizzle running during both games.

Last Friday night, chilly but clear conditions were had for round 8. League leaders Bodalla were looking to extend their gap at the top of the table against mid table Moruya Blues whilst Clyde took on Batemans Bay in their local derby.

Early pressure was applied by Bodalla with a few sighters at goal but nothing that worried the Moruya keeper, Reon Halverson-Green too much.

Some good build-up play from Bodalla resulted in the first clear cut chance of the game, only for striker Mitchell Smith to mistime his shot from six yards out with the goal at his mercy. Moments later, Sid was again put through on goal with only a great effort from the Halverson-Green denying him this time.

A great set piece ball from Kyle Dixon then found the free head of Hayden Van Den Heuvel only for his effort to sail well over from inside the 6 yard box.

Finally the pressure from Bodalla told and another set piece ball from Dixon found its way through the crowded box for left back Alex Connolly to ghost in late and steer his header into the back of the net with Halverson-Green no chance.

With a bit of Moruya pressure from the restart after the goal, the ball once again fell to Connolly who from about 25 yards out curled a first time shot into the top left corner to put Bodalla two up.

The pressure continued from Bodalla and having the lion’s share of possession and field position produced another goal, this time with Dixon being fed just on the 18-yard line and with a neat turn and shot straight at Halverson-Green, it trickled over the line with the keeper knowing he could have done better.

Moruya continued with a few small periods of possession but their forward players remained isolated and gave up possession too easily. Another Bodalla build-up resulted in a cross from the right with the ball bouncing kindly for Riley Miles to take what seemed like an eternity to drill the ball home from six yards.

Just on the stroke of half-time Bodalla had one more clear cut chance with Halverson-Green doing very well to turn this effort past the far post and to the relative safety of a corner.

Halftime – Bodalla 4 – Moruya Blues 0.

Moruya came out with more purpose at the start of the second half and took it to Bodalla for a period of time with some decent build up and almost threatening the Bodalla goal on a few occasions.

Unfortunately for Moruya, as Bodalla started reasserting their dominance on the game, a Jesse French corner was whipped in only to be recycled back to him and he shuffled past the closing defender and curled a left foot strike beyond the keeper into the far corner.

The game started to open up with Moruya on the back foot for long periods which resulted in two more quick goals for Bodalla.

Bodalla continued to dictate play with Moruya putting up a valiant effort and holding their own at times, but another corner from the right found its way to RiIey Miles at the back post to put his second away for the night.

More pressure from Bodalla continued with Moruya having the ball in the back of the next against the run of play, only to be ruled out for offside. Moments later a defence piercing ball from French put Smith on goal with his first attempt well saved only to tuck away the rebound before the Moruya defence could reach him.

Shortly after the restart, Moruya finally had something to cheer about, with a pinpoint ball from the right delicately controlled by Finn O’Donnell then coolly tucked away past the oncoming Bodalla keeper.

As the game wore on to the end with Bodalla continuing to control possession, some smart lead up play found Elliot Bendixson just outside the Moruya box with still some work to do. A quick turn into some space Bendixson unleashed an unstoppable strike from outside the box past the despairing keeper once more.

That was the last effort on target as Bodalla eased to a dominant win.

Solid games all round from the Bulls with French and Dixon pulling the strings in midfield, whilst Connolly was solid at in defence to go with his brace.

For Moruya Halverson-Green and Robbie Kidd did what they could but Bodalla were just too strong.

Full Time – Bodalla 10 – Moruya Blues 1

Clyde United vs Batemans Bay

With both teams playing their second game in four days some tired legs may have been feeling it, but this wasn’t the case. Both teams started with purpose and took the game to each other right from the outset.

The game was played in midfield for good portions with limited time on the ball due to pressure from both sides.

Both teams were creating chances with some sustained pressure from Clyde leading to the first goal courtesy of Jai Kelly. Daniel Gillet made a surging run from the backs down the right side, linking up with the Clyde midfield before picking out Kelly with a well weighted cross for Kelly to coolly slot home.

To their credit Batemans Bay came back towards the end of the half and looked dangerous, but were not able to turn the dominant field position and ball possession into an equaliser before half time.

Halftime – Clyde United 1 – Batemans Bay 0

The second half started much the same as the first, with both teams giving a good showing.

With the Bay being a bit thin personnel wise on the substitution bench, Clyde slowly started to use that advantage to take a bit more of a hold on the game and produced several decent opportunities to score, but the Bay defence was resolute.

The game moved into its final stages and Clyde’s superior goal attempts finally counted for something once more when Dean Carmichael found the back of the net to put them two goals to the good.

Stand-outs for the Bay were their keeper Marc Stiller and forward Luke Simmons. Clyde defender Daniel Gillet and striker Jai Kelly were the pick of United who move up to equal second on the ladder with Broulee.


Full Time – Clyde United 2 – Batemans Bay 0