Victory League Wrap - Round 3

Victory League Wrap - Round 3

Rangers upset South Hobart to go top


Victory League Round 3 was a fiery round with three red cards and some exciting results, providing  a nightmare for tipsters as Rangers recorded a huge upset win over South Hobart. 

In one of the biggest results in the history of the Victory League, Northern Rangers downed 2013 Victory League champions South Hobart 3-1 to go top of the Victory League table after three rounds.

The Rangers dished out a rare defeat for last year’s champions, ending a 16 game unbeaten streak by South Hobart in the Victory League to record a memorable away win to take all three points back to the NTCA.

Rangers came with plans to take down the Champions, tinkering with their lineup to deal with South Hobart’s strike force, Captain Todd Hingston moved into the heart of defence to strengthen their backbone in what proved to be a masterstroke up against the potency of South Hobart.

The northerners had the first clear-cut chance of the game in the 21st minute, Nick Lanau-atkinson pounced on a mistimed pass at the back, rounded South Hobart goalie Kane Pierce but had his shot cleared off the line by South Hobart defender Paul Stevens.

South Hobart were dealt a major blow in the 24th minute, Curran Ferns was shown red after collecting Nick Lanau-atkinson with a late challenge, providing the match with a major turning point. Ferns was shown a yellow in the 17th for a shove and his second yellow just seven minutes later for late contact on the winger meant South Hobart were reduced to ten men for the remainder of the match. 

The home side reshuffled their defence, injecting Hugh Undy off the bench at the expense of attacker Connor Kass.

In the 39th minute, South Hobart's woes were worsened, as Captain Hugh Ludford limped off the ground with a suspected torn calf, forcing Manager Ken Morton to move Vice-Captain Liam Scott back into defence.

Rangers created well and got reward with a goal in the 41st minute, Aidan Rigby fired a curling shot from 20 yards off the right upright, the ball deflected off the post and into the path of Ryan McCarragher, who finished a goal, giving the Rangers a 1-0 half time lead.

Shortly after the restart, the Rangers were given a golden chance from the penalty spot to extend their lead over South Hobart. Scott brought down Pat Lanau-atkinson in the 51st minute and Barker pointed to the spot.

Disappointingly for the traveling side, Shane Brassington gave South Hobart a huge let off, mis-firing from the spot. 

He struck the penalty poorly at Pierce, whose save returned to the englishman, who again fired from the rebound into the crossbar and over goal. 

Fellow englishman Adam Edwards also went close to extending the advantage for the Rangers in the 59th minute, chipping Pierce with an intelligent left footed shot, only to be denied by the cross bar.

Todd Hingston and Ryan McCarragher were outstanding at the back for the Rangers, nullifying South Hobart pair Brayden Mann and Andy Brennan as South Hobart continued to press, despite being down to 10 men.

In a flurry, the Rangers killed off the contest, finishing two goals in three minutes.  

Brassington struck first in the 71st minute, redeeming his earlier mishap, finishing a 30 yard free kick into the bottom right corner. 

Brassington then created the second goal just two minutes later, sending in a shot that Pierce saved out to Rangers’ winger Nick Lanau-atkinson at back post, who tapped in to give the Rangers a commanding 3-0 lead. 

Ben Hamlett collected a consolation goal in the dying moments for South Hobart with a nice one-two with Mann before tucking it past Marshall Poolley. But it was the Rangers day, giving South Hobart a rare defeat at their home at Darcy Street to continue the northern side's unbeaten start to the Victory League season.

In the other matches in round 3, Kingborough Lions kicked off the round with their first win for the season on Friday night with an explosive four goal half steering them over Glenorchy.

Tom Young opened the scoring for the Lions on Victory League debut, finishing off a Trent Pearce set piece in the 28th minute.

Midfielder Lewis Verdouw netted the Lions second with a powerful long-range bullet from a Francis Kenyi assist in the 33rd minute.

Lions next goal came through Nick Cuthbertson with the skipper nodding home a corner from Pearce. Danny Cowen continued his rich goal scoring form, hitting Kingborough’s fourth in the same minute, hammering home from a short Kenyi knock.

In injury time of the opening half, Glenorchy’s unlikely comeback was given some hope with Blayne Hudson finishing magnificently from range to see the Knights go into the rooms down 4-1.

The Knights worked hard and fought their way into the contest, Hey finished nicely in the 84th to give their fightback a flicker of hope but time was their enemy and Kingborough collected a valuable three points.

Devonport City collected the Mies Family Cup, beating Launceston City 7-3 in a fiery northern meeting on Saturday.

The first half saw 8 yellow cards and a red as both teams fought bitterly for a result at Mitsubishi Park.

Devonport claimed a lead through Brody Denehey, scoring in the 5th minute past Jordy Van de Corput.

Callum Moore had a good afternoon for the Strikers up top, he slotted the second with a cracking header in the 20th minute to make it 2-0 for Devonport.

In a tumultuous couple of minutes for Launceston City, Devonport edged further ahead with City defender Shane Egan turning the ball into his own net.

City then lost experienced Dutchman Jordy Van de Corput who was sent off after receiving a second yellow.

The second half was more promising for Launceston City, with two goals from Mark Cristy and a cracking goal from fullback Dom Rossi.

Callum Moore rounded out a great individual game, netting a hattrick. Denehey and Michael Holden also provided lively avenues and both slotted second half goals.

On Saturday night, Tilford Zebras ended a six game winless streak up against traditional rivals Olympia FC Warriors.

In a cagey opening half between the bitter foes, Olympia were dealt an early blow with fullback Jacob Herbert hobbling off with an injured hamstring.

Olympia had the better of the play but failed to finish in a half bereft of clear-cut chances. Alex Ralph and Joel Stone both had chances for eith side but neither could bury them. Despite controlling possession, Olympia were caught out with Tilford Zebras punishing them in injury time of the opening half. 

Alex Leszczynski streamed down the left, cutting outside of Harry Booth he struck the left post and Dwayne Walsh ran through at back post to tap in the rebound.

Olympia’s hopes of a second half revival were dented when Warren Wadawu was shown a second yellow for a late tackle on Henry Fagg. His sending off made it tough for the Warriors in their efforts to chase the game. 

Defenders Josh Fielding and Jake Vandermay were both standout performers at the back  in the tightly contested tussle.

Zebras had several chances to ice the game and went very close to bagging a second through Dwayne Walsh but Walsh blasted his late strike over the bar. 

Tilford Zebras collected the three points to claim bragging rights over their rivals in their first meeting of the Victory League season.

Victory League - Round 3 Results

Glenorchy Knights 2 (Blayne Hudson 45’+1, Jayden Hey 84’) def. by Kingborough Lions 4 (Tom Young 28', Lewis Verdouw 34', Nick Cuthberston 42', Danny Cowen 42’) (HT 1-4) (KGV FOOTBALL PARK, GLENORCHY)

Launceston City 3 (Mark Cristy x 2, Dom Rossi) def. by Devonport City 7 (Brody Denehey x 2, Callum Moore x 3, Shane Egan OWN GOAL, Michael Holden) (HT 0-3) (MITSUBISHI PARK, PROSPECT)

RED CARD: Jordy Van de Corput (Launceston City)

Olympia FC Warriors 0 def. by Tilford Zebras 1 (Dwayne Walsh 45’+3) (HT 0-1) (WARRIOR PARK, WARRANE)

RED CARD: 71’ Warren Wadawu (Olympia FC Warriors)

Relive the match here

South Hobart 1 (Ben Hamlett 87’) def. by Northern Rangers 3 (Ryan McCarragher 41’, Shane Brassington 71’, Nick Lanau-atkinson 73’) (HT 0-1) (DARCY STREET, SOUTH HOBART)

RED CARD:  24’ Curran Ferns (South Hobart)

Relive the match here



Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.


Major Sponsor