Tugun down Ormeau

By Graham Callaghan
TUGUN Seahawks charged home in the last five minutes to score three tries to beat a determined Ormeau Shearers combination 38-18 at Boyd Street Oval yesterday.
The Seahawks struggled to break free of an enthusiastic Shearers' side until late in the second half with Ormeau coach Ben King saying the final score was not a true indication of the game.
"I was happy with the effort and we just have to aim up for 80 minutes," said King.
Tugun coach Rod Hill said he was pleased to win the two competition points to retain equal-second spot but said the Seahawks slipped back into their old mistakes of not completing and giving penalties away which was a bit frustrating.
"We tried our new halves combination today with Jackson Nicolau and Tim Tripp showing they can certainly be competitive.
Tugun were well served by their backrow of Dean Murphy, Sam Rowlings and Joey Dick while Ormeau's best were fullback Rick  Dodd and hooker Josh Yates.
After only three minutes Nicolau put a grubber-kick in goal which flying centre Darnell Clarke scooped up to score with fullback Grayson TiKiri adding the extras for Tugun to lead 6-0.
Four minutes later Tugun centre Matt Shepherd crossed for a good solo four-pointer and then 10 minutes later Clarke scored his second try which TeKiri converted for the home side to lead 16-0.
Midway through the first half Ormeau hooker Yates stretched from dummy half to open the scoring for the Shearers. Dodd added the extras.
Five minutes before the break Dodd, who scored a hat-trick of tries for the Gold Coat Vikings on Saturday, stepped his way around Tugun five-eighth Tim Tripp to score and then converted his own try.
Tugun went to the shed with their early lead reduced to 16-12
Solid Ormeau defence held Tugun out until the 50th minute when Seahawks' winger Michael Day crossed in the corner after five had handled the ball.Ormeau showed they were right in the game in the 55th minute when winger Chris Jordan crossed for a try  and Dobb was successful with the conversion to reduce Tugun's lead to 20-18.
Benchman Stefan Anderson barged over for Tugun in the 62nd minute and then in last five minutes halfback Jackson put in a good individual effort to score after lock Dean Murphy had charged 35m into Ormeau territory.
Then in the last three minutes Clark crossed for his third try and Nathan Annand scored and Tim Tripp converted to give Tugun their 38-18 win.
Currumbin Eagles had four players return from injury when they showed their better form to score a 72-4 win over the Burleigh Bears at Pizzey Park on Saturday but coach Ben Gonzales said the win was not all good news.
"We lost Mitch Kendall, who plays centre or fullback and has been our best player in our last two match. He fractured his ankle and also has hamstring trouble and will probably be out for the season," said Gonzales.
"It was good prop Mitch Hall, Paul Smith, Jack Whitely and Dane Evans returned and hopefully we will have another three return next weekend.
"We counted nine first graders we had out injured in our last two games so it's great when a few return.
Centre Jamie Paige showed good form scoring three tries for the Eagles.
Gonzales praised Burleigh saying they were a physical, young side that never stopped trying but they met a much-improved Eagles team that was determined to record a good win.#


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

RLGC Major Sponsors

Supporting Sponsors