Bulldogs put bite on Maggies


Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs have completed a superb season to take the 2004 South Coast Rugby League first grade competition following their huge 50-12 win over Berry-Shoalhaven Heads Magpies at Berry Showground on Sunday.
In front of a crowd that paid South Coast Group 7 record at the gate, the Bulldogs turned in one of their best displays against a shell-shocked Magpies who, after coming from a play-off for fifth spot to make the semi-finals, seemed as though all the hard work had taken its toll against a fresh and sharp looking Bulldogs team.
The first half opened with a flurry of points, with Bulldogs centre Shane Tracey scooping up a loose ball and racing 70 metres for the opening try, converted by five-eighth Greg Sherwin. The Magpies replied immediately through a barging second-rower Athol Lester to tie the scores at 6 all after only six minutes.
The Bulldogs were in again five minutes later when a great ball by Sherwin to a rampaging Brett Cox saw the rugged second-rower charge over under the posts before Shane Tracey was in for his second try.
Shortly afterwards before Berry went close through John Walker who lost the ball over the line and only two minutes to go before the break Berry winger Andrew Van Oploo was banished to the sin-bin after a professional foul and from the ensuring play Cox raced over for his second try to give the Bulldogs an unassailable 28-6 lead at the break.
The second half took on very much the same pattern as the Bulldogs grabbed two early tries before Van Oploo returned to race to 40-6 and seemed to slip into cruise mode for the remainder of the game.
In a classy display, skipper Brett Cox won the Man of the Match award in a close decision from five-eighth Sherwn and livewire hooker Adam Stone, while Russell Chaffey and Billy Brown were also outstanding, while Athol Lester stood out as by far the best for the Magpies, while Mick Blattner and Mick Walker also tried hard.
Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs 50 (B. Cox 2, S. Tracey 2, C. Whitford 2, B. Larkins, R. Chaffey, J. Holbrook tries G. Sherwin 7 goals) d Berry-Shoalhaven Heads Magpies 12 (A. Lester, G. Johnson tries M. Wood, L. Marsden goals).

Kiama Knights Under 18s made it two premierships in three years when they downed reigning premiers Shellharbour City Sharks 25-16 in a thrilling grand final.
For the third time this year an Under 18 game went to extra-time with the Knights featuring in all three, as Shellharbour let a 12-0 halftime lead slip as the Knights came storming home.
In fact the Sharks looked in total control at the break after first half tries to Kevin Ottaway and Nathan Thompson and two conversions to Ottaway, but that lead was trimmed to 12-4 straight after halftime when Dane Phillips cleverly kicked for Josh Morris to score.
But unpeterbed, the Sharks scored again through winger Nick Grima to take a handy 16-4 lead after 10 minutes of the second half.
But the young Knights, fielding a side that will only lose four of their 24 registered players when they try to make it back-to-back next year, started a fightback that saw half Matt O'Brien put centre Jason White over and shortly afterwards another kick saw Brandon Nixon score for 16-12.
The pressure mounted and hooker Mitchell Wilmott became the third Sharks player in the sin bin and the Knights leveled the scores at 16 all when front-rower Luke Gilmore crashed over out wide to send the game to extra-time.
The Knights took the lead for the first time in the match via a penalty goal to five-eighth Dane Phillips at the end of the first period of extra-time before a second try to Gilmore and a goal and field-goal to Phillips wrapped up the match for the Knights.
In an outstanding team effort, Gilmore was awarded the Ray Stead Memorial Trophy as Man of the Match, while Dane Phillips, James Gartside, Matt O'Brien and Jason White were the stand-outs, while Kevin Ottaway, Nathan Thomson and Matt Docker all tried hard in a beaten side.
Kiama Knights 25 (L. Gilmore 2, J. Morris, J. White, B. Nixon tries D. Phillips 2 goals and field-goal) d Shellharbour City Sharks 16 (K. Ottaway, N. Thomson, N. Grima tries K. Ottaway 2 goals).

Greenwell Point Pirates took their first-ever Regan Cup title with a typically hard-fought 18-8 win over two-time premiers Albion Park Outlaws.
In a high class game, the Pirates scored first through Gary Vidler, but a mistake from the restart saw the Outlaws with a chance to level the scores, which they did when Justin Holz dived over in the corner to level the scores.
Undaunted, the Pirates continued to attack and tries to Rodney Carpenter and Steve Evans plus a Carpenter conversion had them on track for an upset and their first-ever premiership to lead 14-4 at the halftime break.
Early in the second half the Pirates went further ahead when half Nathan Stewart found space out wide and minutes later they missed a chance to go further ahead when Carpenter went over out wide only to mistake the dead-ball line for the tryline and a great chance went astray.
With 15 minutes remaining the Outlaws closed the gap to 10 points when replacement Beau Goodwin scored out wide, but the Pirates rallied and finished the stronger team to win 18-8.
In a great team effort, Steve Evans, Nathan Carpenter, Wayne Lonesborough and Tim Kinleysides had big games for the Pirates, while Jay Efaraimo, Dane Milthorpe and Nick Amone were best for the Outlaws.
Greenwell Point Pirates 18 (R. Carpenter, G. Vidler, N. Srewart, S. Evans tries R. Carpenter goal) d Albion Park Outlaws 8 (B. Goodwin, J. Holz tries).

Shellharbour City Sharks scored their second successive premiership when they launched a great second half comeback to down Berry-Shoalhaven Heads Magpies in the reserve grade match 28-26.
In a great game, the Magpies trailed 6-0 early through a Damien Ingram try, but the Magpies then took control of the game to race to a big 18-6 lead through tries to Lloyd Williamson, Leigh Marsden and Danny Siddons and a first Berry reserve grade premiership looked a distinct possibility.
The game turned around in the opening minutes of the second half when the Sharks scored two converted tries, the first to Paul Maylan and the next to Rob Meeks to tie the scored and from that point onwards the game was anyone's.
A try to the Sharks Rob Crowhurst and one to Jamie Manukonga gave the Sharks some breathing space, but the Magpies kept battling a double to winger John Dudgeon saw the game go right down to the wire.
Damien Ingram, Jamie Manukonga, Brian Hardy and Matt Coy had great games for the Sharks, while Danny Siddons, Adam Hayburn, Leigh Marsden and Dave Wallis had top games for the unlucky Magpies.
Shellharbour City Shark 28 (D. Ingram, P. Moylan, R. Meeks, R. Crowhurst, J. Manukonga tries D. Bunt 4 goals) d Berry-Shoalhaven Heads Magpies 26 (J. Dudgeon 2, L. Williamson, D. Siddons, L. Marsden tries J. Dudgeon 3 goals).


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

Sponsor Information - In side bar