Canterbury League Club first opened its doors for trade in September 1956 to service the needs of the football club and local community. The Salvation Army Hall became the first venue of the Canterbury League Club. Sixty people would fill the venue on a busy night.
In the first two years of trade the Club was outgrowing itself and in 1960 the Club moved its premises to Bridge St which allowed the League Club to grow as well as cater for patron parking.
During the 1990's Canterbury managed one of the most successful League Clubs in NSW and was quickly becoming known as one of the most progressive leisure facilities in Australia. With trade booming and patronage at an all-time high, the Club extended its trading to 24 hour trading.
In 2000, the Board had approved major renovations. The renovations started in 2000 and in 2002 the Banyan Brasserie, Dynasty Restaurant, new foyer, upstairs gaming floor and Health Club were opened to the public.
Opened in 2016, the new Canterbury Bakehouse Cafe is an exciting new addition to the Club's food and beverage offerings. A cafe, restaurant and a lounge all in one, the design inspiration stems from a contemporary bistro style with echoes of the French Nouveau era, elegant wrought iron screens, amazing timber parquetry floors, sleek marble columns and brass detailing.
The Club also amalgamated with Lakemba Club and Belfield RSL Club.
Canterbury League Club has since become one of Sydney’s premier hospitality destinations with 5 star amenities including 4 Restaurants, multiple bars and entertainment lounges and a 24 hour health club.
Canterbury offers a range of facilities for our Members and guests including:
- Bars (Flame Bar , The Heritage Bar, Banyan Bar, Bulldogs Sports Bar)
- C-Life Health Club
- Free parking
- Free WiFi
- Function Rooms
- Galaxy Kid’s Play Area
- Live Entertainment
- Pool tables
- Restaurants (Bakehouse Cafe, Flame Restaurant, Dynasty Chinese, Banyan Brasserie)
- Sports Screens
- Squash Courts
- Vending Machines