ORADO Presentation- Summary:
The concept of establishing RADO is to provide resource and fiscally responsible mechanism to establish and implement anti-doping programs in different regions of the world, which are strategically governed and directed by member countries. RADO assist with overall anti-doping strategies and may carry out functions such as testing, results management, appeals and manage Therapeutice Use Exemptions (TUE) as well as develop and disseminate education materials. RADO facilitate member countries' compliance with the World Anti-Doping Code.
In order for such an initiative to be successful the support from both the government and National Olympic Committee (NOC) in each member country is crucial.
RADO contributes to the right for athletes to compete in doping-free sport by ensuring that all athletes, from all sports and all countries are subject to the same processes and protocols.
Secretary Generals Feedback- Summary:
On day 2 of the workshop, the Secretary Generals were split into 2 groups to brainstorm possible ways to ensure that they achieve Code Compliance and sustainable anti-doping programs. Some of the feedback provided are:
- NOC to form or strengthen their Medical Commission
- Identify the social issues connected to substance abuse int he community
- Sport can be the vehicle to adress the social issues
- Approach or Lobby Government for Support
- Government ratify the UNESCO Convention
- Government funding to support programs that address the social issues
- NOC establish an independent NADO
(Note: Timeline- 2 years)
- To integrate Anti-Doping with Oceania Sport Education Program (OSEP) curriculum
- NOC to have information sessions on Anti-Doping Programs and the role of NADO
- NOC to team up with Government Ministries (Health, School, Foreign Affairs, Sports) in creating awareness and carry out anti-doping education sessions
- NOC/NADO to carry out Outreach Programs
- Use of Athlete Ambassadors. NOC to engage both Athlete Commission and Medical Commission
- Possiblity/Feasibility of having a full time NADO Officer. Possible partners
- NOC & Government
- Marketing and Promoting NADO services and activites
- ORADO to take part or present at Pacific Islands Forum and Games to promote Anti-Doping Programs.
BE STRONG. BE CLEAN. PLAY TRUE!!!
Last Modified on 27/01/2012 18:11