Located an hour from Melbourne’s CBD, Geelong is recognized as Victoria’s largest regional city. The region’s natural beauty, state-of-the-art infrastructure and the newly renovated and rejuvenated waterfront precinct makes Geelong the perfect city for events of all kinds.
Organization for the Yanmar Wooden Boatshop 2016 Wooden Boat Festival of Geelong is well advanced and we are looking forward to another successful event at the Royal Geelong Yacht Club. The festival will be held over the Labour Day weekend commencing on Saturday 12th March and running until Monday 14th March.
We are expecting over 150 entries, approximately 1000 direct participants and in excess of 12,000 visitors to the Waterfront Festival. There is no doubt that the event is growing and it has become a major biannual regatta on the Sailing Calendar, as well as giving the Geelong community the opportunity to see first- hand some of the most historic Wooden Boats in Australia.
In 2016 there will be an increased focus on family participation involving greater children activities. This will include the Tall Ships Enterprize and the Alexander Stewart, treasure hunts, an art competition for local schools and hands on wooden boat building activities.
The festival will again attract the highest caliber of boats from all around Victoria and interstate to compete in this our 7th festival. They will be competing in our extensive program which will comprise both on water and shore based activities, including a Grand Parade of Boats and Cavalcade of Sail, a Concourse d’ Elegance, racing for the Corio Bay Couta Boat Cup, the Corio Bay Classic Wooden Yacht Cup and the Passage Races from Portarlington to Geelong.
2016 Wooden Boat Festival - Schedule of Events
Thursday 10th March 2016
•Cruising Dinner 6.30pm at RGYC.
Friday 11th March 2016
• Outdoor Movie Night and BBQ.
Saturday 12th March 2014
• Festival opening.
• RGYC Historic Display and Theatre 12.00 – 5.00pm.
• Passage race from Portarlington to Geelong.
• Dinghy Racing on Corio Bay, Geelong
• Festival activities, entertainment & Corporate functions.
• Rock ‘n Roll Night and BBQ.
Sunday 13th March 2016 (Main Festival Day)
• Racing on Corio Bay
• Children’s events (Treasure Hunt & face Painting).
• Axemen’s demonstations.
• Grand Parade of Boats (led by the Tall Ship and Alexander Stewart ).
• RGYC Historic Display and Theatre 10.00am – 5.00pm.
• Shoreside Festival & Entertainment 10:00 am – 6.00pm.
• Awards Presentation Dinner (Tim Jarvis – guest speaker)
Monday 14th March 2016
• Racing on Corio Bay
• RGYC Historic Display and Theatre 9.00am – 1.00pm.
• Shoreside Festival & Entertainment 10:00 am – 1.00pm.