U18 vs Birmingham Mets @ Home 05.01.13

Worcester Wolves U18’s Vs. Birmingham Mets U18’s

Venue: University of Worcester

Date 5/01/13 Tip Off: 2pm







Worcester Wolves






Birmingham Mets








Worcester Wolves U18’s ended 2012 top of the table but having just suffered their first defeat in 10 games. The team knew it was important to put that defeat behind them and start 2013 with a win. Wolves would have to be at their best to beat an athletic Mets side.

The first quarter was a close affair but it was Mets that took an early lead, two early free throws quickly followed by two uncontested baskets gave Mets a third minute 6 point lead. Wolves first basket of 2013 was scored by Wolves Centre Sam Broughton following a cheeky assist from Tom Cox who managed to pass the ball through the legs of the on rushing defender to the grateful Broughton. With 8 minutes played Wolves were trailing 11-6, however with Dylan Richardson and Ash Dickson combining well the team were beginning to play with more confidence. A lay-up from Richardson was followed by another basket for Broughton who was fouled in the act of shooting and he made his And1 to tie the game at 11-11. Two late free throws from Dickson gave Wolves a 13-11 first quarter lead.

The second quarter didn’t go so well for the Wolves as Mets took control and despite 4 points from Jamie Summers the Wolves were showing little imagination, a lack of drive and as a result resorted to long range shooting. A 9-0 run for Mets in a 3 minute spell gave them a deserving 30-22 half time lead.

Two minutes into the second half and Mets had extended the lead to 12 points. The game then briefly turned in Wolves favour as the impressive Dave Nash took control of the offensive rebounds and was fouled on several occasions and found himself at the charity stripe on 3 separtae occasions in a 3 minute spell, 4 points for him and another 4 for Broughton had reduced Mets lead to 6 as Wolves enjoyed an 8-2 run. 6 unanswered points for Mets re-extended their lead to 12 before Curtis Pearson entered the game for Wolves for the first time, his impact was almost immediate as he hit Wolves first three of the game quickly followed by a long range two. Wolves ended the third quarter on a high despite trailing by 8 points with 10 minutes to play.

Broughton, Dickson and Pearson started the final quarter brightly for Wolves and with a little over two minutes played the lead had been cut to just 2 points. A time out for Mets allowed them to re-group and within two minutes they had extended the lead 6 points with the scores at 53-47. Coach Sarwar for Wolves called his own time out, whatever was said did the trick as Wolves soon tied the game at 53-53, 4 points from Broughton and the equalising basket from Richardson had the crowd on their feet. With 3 minutes to play a further basket from Pearson gave Wolves the lead for the first time since the first quarter. However a 7-0 run for Mets gave them a 5 point lead with just 1 minute to play. Another time out for Wolves was called and a change of personnel with Cox coming on for Nash, this truly was the turning point of the game. Extremely tough defence lead to Mets giving up turnovers and importantly possession to Wolves. A two from Richardson reduced the deficit to 3. As Mets pressed for what would surely be the decisive basket a steal by Cox gave Wolves possession with seconds remaining, he passed to Broughton who passed to Richardson, as Richardson crossed the half way line only two seconds remained, he attempted a long range 3 and much to the delight of the team, and the crowd, the basket was made and the game tied at 60-60 with 0.6 seconds remaining. Mets failed to make a shot and the game went to overtime.

Overtime began with a 3 for Summers, however Mets responded with a 3 of their own and with two minutes played the game was again tied. In the third minute Mets took the lead as they made 1 from two from the charity stripe. Dickson then drew a foul as he drove to basket, the basket was scored to give Wolves a 1 point lead, he then remained calm under pressure to make his And1 and extend the lead to 2 points. Mets key player Sol Rolls-Tyson was fouled out as a result of the foul on Dickson and as Mets began to argue amongst themselves it was Wolves that kept their composure and showed why they are rightfully the league leaders. A 3 point basket from Cox extended the lead to 5 before he made a further lay-up to make the score 71-64 and with it victory for Wolves.

This was an extremely tough game for Wolves, however when the pressure was on they kept their calm, played as a team deserved the victory. Next week the team travel to Derby who are currently second in the National League Midland Conference.

Wolves Top Scorers: Sam Broughton 19 points, Dylan Richardson 13 points, Curtis Pearson 11 points.

Report written by Robert Cox


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.