ADOPTED: MAY 10
SUPPORTED BY: BASKETBALL SA , SACBC AND GSABA
Officials at all times accept and adhere to the following behaviours:
- At all times co-operate with Captains, Coaches, Technical Officials and the Court Supervisor to ensure that the game runs smoothly and on time.
- Do not retaliate either verbally or physically to any abuse of misconduct.
- Treat all players, coaches, spectators and other officials with the same respect, professionalism and courtesy that you expect.
- The referee will lead by example, ensuring a high standard of game management and sound communication are used.
- Refrain from using bad language at all times on and off the court.
- Encourage and commend good behaviour and sportsmanship.
- Do not allow bad behaviour to go un-noticed.
- Use common sense and reason when applying policies.
- If approached by a coach for clarification on a decision or ruling then provide the coach with a clear and honest answer.
- If a referee cannot give a clear answer to the question he/she must make every effort to obtain the answer. Refer clarification to a Court Supervisor (Umpire in Charge).
- Refrain from commnting on the performance or competenceof players, coaches or other officials.
- Do not condone or become involved in any form of racial discrimination.
- Refrain from making gender or sexuality based remarks.
- Referees are required to arrive on time for games; in correct uniform; and in an appropriate condition to conduct their duties and represent the Association.
- Disciplinary actions for non-compliance:
If referees fail to adhere to the Code of Conduct, this will be first addressed by the Court Supervisor (Umpire in Charge) and if required, referred to the Referee Coordinator or GSABA Management Committee for disciplinary action.