Foward - Mid West FL
All affiliated football leagues use the Laws of the Game as the basis for local competition, with the Laws modified to suit local circumstances, under League By Laws
This series of videos were produced by the AFL in 2017 to assist understanding the application of the Laws.
The 2018 version of the Laws of the Game are under the League Administration Menu, along with a one pager on the Spirit of the Laws. No changes to the Laws have been made in 2018.
AFL Laws of Football
The purpose of the Laws is to explain how a Match of Australian Football is played and seek to attain the following objectives:
a) to ensure that the game of Australian Football is played in a fair manner and a spirit of true sportsmanship; and
b) to prevent injuries to players participating in a Match so far as this objective can be reasonably achieved in circumstances where Australian Football is a body contact sport.
The AFL is delighted again in season 2017 to be able to provide the 2017 Laws of Australian Football video.
These videos will take you through all the key rules and interpretations of Australian Football, which will provide you with a greater understanding of our game.
To maintain and enhance Australian Football as the most spectacular game in the world, the game at AFL level must remain entertaining and exciting to watch and safe to play within the confines of a body contact sport.
The guiding principles for the Laws of the Game are:
- The unique characteristics of the game should be maintained and encouraged
- Player health and safety is protected via the Laws of the Game, interpretations and officiating
- A priority of the Laws, interpretations and officiating is to reward and protect the player who makes winning the ball their primary objective
- Australian Football at AFL level should be maintained as a physically tough and contested game with appropriate consideration to player health and safety
- Players of various sizes, football and athletic ability have an opportunity for success in the game played at the highest level
- The direction and movement of the ball is unpredictable and has few restrictions
- There are few restrictions on where player can be located across the ground
- Continuous and free flowing football is encouraged ahead of repetitive short passages of play
- The Laws of the Game balances offensive and defensive aspects of play, where an attacking style of game is encouraged
Rule and interpretation changes will be considered if there is an opportunity to further enhance, or address trends that threaten the principles of the Laws of the Game.