WBFL Illegal Drugs Policy
WESTERN BORDER FOOTBALL LEAGUE (WBFL or “The League”)
ILLEGAL DRUG POLICY
The WBFL understands and accepts it has a duty of care to provide a safe and healthy environment, free of illegal drugs. This policy reflects a commitment by the club to the health, safety and welfare of all its members.
This policy has been approved by the executive of the Western Border Football League.
The WBFL is committed to:
· Encouraging and assisting members to realise their full potential within an environment that actively promotes their health, safety and well-being
· Preventing alcohol and other drug related harm to individuals, property and the reputation of the club
· Ensuring a supportive and inclusive environment for all members
· Providing support to members who wish to address their patterns of alcohol and/or illegal drug use
· Meeting legal requirements in relation to alcohol and illegal drugs
· Encouraging moderation and a responsible attitude to the consumption of alcohol
The purpose of this policy is to ensure league and club members understand the league’s position regarding illegal drugs and explain how the club will respond to a drug-related incident within its jurisdiction.
· Illegal drugs
Illegal drugs are used by many people in the community, including young adults, so it is likely that some members of our league will have access to them. Currently there are two distinct but related illegal drug issues confronting sporting clubs:
· performance enhancing drugs
· illegal drugs used for social purposes (e.g. at parties, raves, in the home, at the club, etc).
These two categories are not mutually exclusive. Some illegal drugs used for social purposes (such as amphetamines, e.g. speed) may be used to enhance sporting performance.
· League jurisdiction
The League jurisdiction extends to the club premises and all activities organised by or for the league at any location or venue.
This policy applies to all members, employees, supporters and visitors of the WBFL. Members and employees should ensure they do not attend the league if adversely affected by illegal drugs and/or alcohol.
· League confidant
The League will designate an appropriate individual to act as the ‘League confidant’. This person may, but does not have to be the League President or another office bearer and will be responsible for the management of all illegal drug related incidents.
The League will support this person to carry out their duties whenever required.
Illegal Drug Use
The possession, use, distribution or selling of illegal drugs for any purposes on league premises or at any function or activity organised by the league is prohibited.
· In the case of an incident involving an illegal drug, the initial actions and responses will focus on the safety and welfare of those directly and indirectly involved. All responses and actions will reflect the league’s duty of care to members, visitors and all other people.
· The league will investigate all apparent or alleged breaches of this policy and determine a course of action after all relevant facts and circumstances are known.
· The league may refer a member who is involved in illegal drug use to a medical or health service for assistance or, if the league deems it necessary in the circumstances, to the police.
Managing illegal drug incidents
Where a league member becomes aware that illegal drug use is occurring at the club or league within its jurisdiction, the member should pass on this information to the President and/or league confidant. Should the need arise, the League will sanction the individual(s) in line with the League’s rules and policies.
The League confidant will;
o Speak to the individual(s) in private, expressing concern about their drug use
o Remind the individual(s) of the league policy and asked for a commitment that it will not happen again
o Offer options for support and referral for counselling or other help
o Leave the door open for further communication with the individual(s) concerned.
o Inform the League President in the event of non-compliance
· If an individual(s) is under the influence of a legal or illegal drug at the club, the league will;
o Ensure the health and safety of the individual(s)
o Keep the individual under supervision and monitor them at regular intervals
o Call for medical assistance if required.
o Arrange safe transport to take them home, unless this involves further risk.
o Take control of any remaining drugs in their possession, unless this involves further risk.
o If the person becomes violent or aggressive, contact police to ensure the safety of all.
o Inform the League President (and League confidant) as soon as possible.
Drugs found in the possession of an individual
· If illegal drugs are found in the possession of an individual, the President and/or League confidant will be contacted as soon as possible.
The League will:
o Take possession of the drug if safe to do so.
o Place the drug in a clean (preferably “snap lock”) plastic bag.
o Seal the plastic bag with masking tape to ensure it stays closed.
o The finder and/or league president should sign and date the tape/bag.
o Record details in an incident register.
o Contact local police and request they collect the drugs.
o Store the plastic bag in a secure place until collected by police.
o Obtain the signature of attending police for the incident register to show the drugs have been taken into their possession.
o Ask the person suspected to be in possession of the drugs to leave the premises immediately (assuming it is safe for them to do so), if they deny possessing drugs or refuse to relinquish possession of the drugs to the league.
Supplying Illegal drugs
· If it is suspected or known that a member is supplying illegal drugs to other members of the league, the League confidant will;
o Speak to the individual to determine if they are supplying illegal drugs to others.
o If this is verified, or there is a strong belief this is occurring, the club will contact Crime Stoppers on 1300 333 000.
o If it is unable to be verified, the club will monitor the situation and warn the individual that the matter will be reported to the police if the league has continued concerns.
· Subject to its right to contact the police if necessary, the Club League maintain the privacy of those involved where possible
· The League will act with discretion when absolute confidentiality cannot be guaranteed
· League personnel will be informed on a need to know basis only
· In the interests of health and safety, the League will contact the parents or guardian of a minor where apparent or suspected illegal drug use has occurred (unless by doing so it will place the safety of the individual at risk of greater harm)
· The League will inform all members aged under 18 years that parents will be notified if the league is aware (or strongly believes) they are using or supplying illegal drugs.
· If the member is aged over 18 years, the club will determine each case on its merits and decide whether contacting parents or guardian is in the best interests of the individual.
· If the League is aware that a member is supplying illegal drugs to other members, they will notify Crime Stoppers of this activity
· In the case of apparent or alleged illegal drug use, the league may report a person to, or seek the advice of the police
The League understands that medical assistance may be required if a person has been using drugs.
· The League will designate a club official to communicate with the media on behalf of the league should the need arise
· The League may seek advice from the league/association prior to communicating with the media
· No other member of the league will communicate with the media on this issue, unless specifically requested by the league official
All league committee members will enforce the illegal drug policy and any non-compliance will be handled according to the following process:
· The designated league confidant (and President) will be informed of the breach of policy
· The individual(s) concerned will be reminded of the league policy
· Issue a warning of future sanctions for continued non-compliance
The League confidant and President will use their discretion as to the action taken for non-compliance, based on:
· Whether it involved use or supply
· Whether the use or supply takes place within the league’s jurisdiction or in private
· Age of the persons involved
In general, and depending on any other rules of the league, should an individual(s) continue non-compliance with this policy, the following will occur;
· suspension for a designated time period
· expulsion from the league.
This policy will be reviewed annually to ensure it remains relevant to league operations and reflects both community expectations and legal requirements.