2016 State Team Program - Information
Below is information regarding the 2016 State Team Programs. Age specific informaiton available in the PDF documents at the bottom of this article.
This year WPNSW has spent a large amount of time developing the 2016 State Team Program. We have analysed feedback from previous years, consulted with industry professionals, and researched into the best options to meet our athletes and staffing needs during selections, team training, and tour phases of the program.
Some key learnings and findings are:
• WPNSW to communicate the full program of commitments and levy of each respective team at the announcement of the State Squads.
• WPNSW to announce the program 3 months in advance of the tours.
• Teams need a combination of weekend trainings and training camps to efficiently prepare before a tournament.
• Team Coaches and Managers to understand the full commitments of the team before application for a position.
• Tour Coordinators are essential to assist with the coordination and continuity of the tour.
• Due to the range of financial commitments for the sport, considering options that serve the needs of elite athletes while costing the least amount of money are most ideal.
• Extra curricular athlete development opportunities are widely accepted, like Sports Talks; Gym and Stretching sessions; Think. Act. Play discussions.
• Introduce fundraising options.
WPNSW have considered and incorporated this feedback and much more to develop this year’s program.
NSW REPRESENTATIVE TEAMS FOR 2016
• U14s is for athletes Born 02 & 03. There will be 4 x representative teams per gender. 2 x teams will go to the East Coast Challenge, and 2 x teams will attend the Pan Pacs tournament.
• U16s is for athletes Born 00 & 01. There will be 3 x representative teams per gender. All teams will attend the Pan Pacs tournament.
• NSW Juniors is for athletes Born 99 – 96. There will be 2 x representative teams per gender. All teams will attend the Pan Pacs tournament.
WATER POLO AUSTRALIA TOURS
This year WPA have a number of Junior and Youth teams on tour this representative season.
• For the boys there is the B01, B00, B99, B98, B97, and the Future Olympians tournament.
• For the girls there is the B00A, B00B, B98, B97, and the Future Olympians tournament.
• The athletes chosen in the final selections of the above teams will represent Australia, any athlete not selected in the final team will be eligible for NSW representative team selection.
• Athletes who are selected to attend the Future Olympians tournament will not be eligible for the NSW Juniors teams.
All ages groups will be having a Selection camp or TAP camp this year.
• The U14 squads will have a 3 day residential TAP camp.
• The U16 squads will have a non residential Selection Camp. All regional athletes will be billeted.
• NSW Junior Squads will have a non residential Selection Camp. Regional athletes will be billeted.
The final representative teams will be selected from these camps.
Upon selection, all teams will have 3 x weekends of training to prepare as a team and 1 x pre-tour training camp before they fly out. The training weekends and pre-tour training will consist of 3 training sessions over a 1.5 day period.
Tour details are available in each specific age program Information Brief.
(Green highlighted is Information Brief dates)
• 4 March
State Team Program Information Brief (1)
State Squad announcement
• 7 March
State Squad announcements
Call for State Team Coaches & Managers
• 11 March
Application Close for State Team Coaches & Managers
• 14 March State Team Coach announcement
• 18 March Selection Camp Information Brief (2)
• 8 April – 1 May Selection Camps
• 2 May U14 & U16 team announcements to individual athletes/families
• 5 May NSW Juniors team announcements to individual athletes/families
• 13 May Public announcement of State Teams
• 14 May State Team Manager announcement
• 20 May Tour Information Brief (3)
• 21 May – 26/6 Team training weekends
• 17 June Tour Information Brief (4)
Again, WPNSW wish to reiterate that we have considered all previous feedback and consulted and researched to decide on this final program.
This year, athlete will be provided with the opportunity to fundraise. Upon confirmation of team selection, all athletes will be provided with 2 boxes of Cadbury Freddo chocolates to sell. Additionally WPNSW are in the process of putting together a raffle that will also assist in fundraising for the program.
The Levy has the following items to allow people to understand the composition of the levy.
• Selection Camp.
• Training weekends.
• Pre tour training and tour.
• Uniform will be an additional expense to the Levy.
• Pool entry expenses for training are not included in the Levy (except for the U14 TAP Camp).
• For those individuals seeking an alternate payment plan to that suggested above, please contact WPNSW.
• There are some variances between age group Levy’s. This is due to flight time/dates/destination, TAP/Selection camp duration, and tour duration.
Specific state team levies can be located in the specific age program Information Brief.
East Coast Challenge:
• U14 State Based National Championships
• Hosted by the State Sporting Organisations
• Venue: Melbourne
• 6 – 10 July 2016
Pan Pacific Youth Festival:
• International tournament held in New Zealand Biannually. NZ & Aus Clubs, States, American College, and some Asian regional teams, enter the competition.
• U14; U16; U20 Age Groups.
• A new initiative by WPA to replace the U20 National State based Championships.
• Date: May 1 – 8.
• Venue: AIS.
• Program: 4 days of testing, technical development, athlete education, and 4 days of a mixed tournament.
• The top 44 athletes from across Australia composed of senior Australia B, athletes B96 & 97, and additionally to the 44 the Aus B98 team
Sport Development Manager