Australians Win Second Test


Bert Henham Park, Otahuhu, Auckland. Kick off, 12.45pm

Australian Schoolboys team






Elijah Alick

Cavendish Road SHS


Charlie Taylor

St Augustines College, Brookvale


Sione Mata’utia

Hunter Sports High School


Marion Seve

Keebra Park State High School


Nathan Davis

James Busby High School


Jackson Hastings

Illawarra Sports High School


Jayden Nikorima

Wavell State High School


Vincent Leuluai

Sarah Redfern High School


Jennan Wedderburn-Parrish

Australian Industry Trade College


George Fai

Marsden State High School


Royce Hunt

Bass High School


Tyrell Fuimaono

Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown


Cheyne Whitelaw

Marcellin College, Randwick


Joey Lussick

Newington College


Thomas Freebairn

Illawarra Sports High School


Michael Barclay

Kirwan State High School


Lamar Manuel-Liolevave

Keebra Park State High School


A sunny humid day meant that this game was played in fast but exacting conditions. New Zealand kicked off running north, and the Australians began the game in determined fashion with some telling runs close to the ruck. A quick play the ball earnt a penalty at about half way, and Jackson Hastings found touch with a good kick. After a ruck play, Australia was lined out to the right, but Joey Lussick went left and jumped out of dummy half to put Charlie Taylor over in the corner in the second minute. Hastings landed a difficult conversion to take the score to 6-0.

From the kick off, the Australians again put together a strong series of runs, first by Sione Mata’utia, whose quick play the ball gave Jackson Hastings room to place a pinpoint high kick. Nathan Davis made a great leap to catch the ball and pass infield to Jayden Nikorima as he landed, and Jayden scored under the posts at the 5 minute mark. Jackson converted again for a 12-0 lead.

At the ten minute mark, a high Australian kick midfield hit the ground and bounced loose to the NZ #5 who took the ball 30 metres downfield. New Zealand was awarded a penalty two tackles later, and after they took a couple of hit ups vlose to the ruck, they spread the ball wide to the left for their #18 to score in the left corner. A great sideline conversion by #12 brought the score to 12-6.

Five minutes later, on the attack, the Kiwis put a bomb which was brilliantly taken by Marion Seve, who then made some important ground. Royce Hunt went marauding down the blind side to send left winger Charlie Taylor away on a 60 metre run. This was followed by a couple of strong runs to the left, after which the ball was switched back to the centre. Jackson Hastings turned the ball inside to Tyrell Fuimaono, who passed inside to Cheyne Whitelaw who scored under the posts at the 17th minute mark. Jackson Hastings again converted to take the Australians to an 18-6 lead.

At the 20th minute the Australians threatened again. Michael Barclay’s quick play the ball allowed Cheyne Whitelaw to make a bust down the middle, then get a pass away to George Fai, who lost the ball just short of the line in trying to get away a miracle pass.

Five minutes later the Kiwis received a penalty on half way, and after some good ball movement got the ball over the line, but were penalized for a double movement.

At the 27 minute mark, the Australian worked their way up field with some clever ball movement. A Jackson Hastings kick hit the ground and was picked up by an offside player, for Australia’s penalty. The ball was shifted to the left close to the posts, then back to the right for Hastings to put captain Sione Mata’utia over 10 metres in from the sideline, and Australia extended its lead to 22-6.

In the 37th minute, the Kiwis were putting on the pressure on the Australian line, and only determined defence kept them out. A turnover and a great 20 metre run from Marion Seve, followed by strong runs from Lamar Manuel-Liolevave then Thomas Freebairn put Australian deep into attack. From 10m metres out Jayden Nikorima took the ball left and put Lamar over 10 metres in from the left post. Jackson Hastings again converted to take Australia to a 28-6 lead at half time.

At this stage, Coach Peter Denham was pleased with the game that the Schoolboys were playing, and they were clearly addressing the weaknesses from the First Test.

The second half was to be a different story, though, with the New Zealand Residents getting possession and momentum, and consistently threatening the Australian dominance.

From the kick off, the Kiwis threatened the Australian line. When we got the ball, Marion Seve was able to make a great break and feed Charlie Taylor, who got close to the line. However a turnover allowed the Kiwis to come back, and a penalty on the 20 metre line, followed almost immediately by one on the 50 metre line, allowed the NZers to get well on the attack. They spread the ball wide to the left and put #5 over right in the corner, taking the score to 28-10 to Australia.

At the 48th minute, a good offload from their #15 allowed NZ to make good ground, then put in a high kick in front of the posts. The Kiwi #1 soared and took the ball out of Nathan Davis’ arms to score under the posts. The conversion from #12 narrowed the gap to 28-16.

After 51 minutes, the game continued to go to and fro. Sione Mata’utia and then Marion Seve made strong carries off our line, then a penalty on half way put the Aussies well on the attack. After some clever work from Australia, the Kiwi defence held and we were tackled on the last right on their line. NZ then lost the ball as they came out, and Australia used the ball well for the full set. The kick from the last tackle went towards Marion Seve, who lost it over the line as he dived for the catch. As the Kiwis brought the ball out, a fearsome tackle from Sione Mata’utia turned the ball over again, but Australia was unable to take this opportunity.

In the 58th minute, the NZ #2 made a great 50 metre kick return to put them on the attack, but solid and well organized Australian defence repelled the attack and earned a turnover to relieve pressure.

The Kiwis renewed the pressure, though, with strong running and good field position. In the 63rd minute, a penalty to the Kiwis under the posts led to a series where a big forward was turned back inside, and his quick play the ball allowed the next inside ball to #8 result in him going over under the posts. #12’s conversion narrowed the score to 28-22. At this stage it was all New Zealand, and the pressure was exacerbated by a series of knocks and injuries to Australian players. The heat was telling, the crowd was getting behind their boys, and the Australians were struggling.

Four minutes later, the Australians finally got their hands on the ball again, and some good runs were followed by a penalty 30 metres out from our line. Strong runs from Michael Barclay and then George Fai made good ground, and had the Kiwis retreating. The ball was fed left through the hands to find Marion Seve, who was stopped by a pack of defenders, but managed to flop the ball back to our support players. The ball hit a defender for 6 to go, and fell into the hands of Jayden Nikorima who dived over in the corner, to take Australia to a 32-22 lead.

The game continued to go back and forth at great pace and enormous ferocity, and this, with the closeness of the score, created real tension.

At the 74th minute, the Australians were yet again desperately defending their line. The Kiwis were able to gain a repeat set, and they turned their #11 inside to score 5 metres to the right of the posts. The conversion by #12 narrowed the gap for a 32-28 score.

The last minutes of the game were frantic in their desperation, with both teams giving everything in their efforts for victory. As the hooter went, the Kiwis had the ball 20 metres out, and were awarded a penalty by the referee. New Zealand put up a high bomb, but it went too deep to be useful, and Elijah Alick and Nathan Davis punched the ball over the dead ball line to secure an Australian victory. The teams did exchange words at this point in time, but there no definitely no “fisticuffs”, as reported incorrectly on another website. At the end of the game, both teams swapped jerseys, shared a prayer, and joined each other in a single line to salute the crowd on both sides of the field. The post match function, similarly, exhibited the spirit of sportsmanship and fairplay that has featured in this series.

Australian Schoolboys 32 (Jayden Nikorima 2, Charlie Taylor, Cheyne Whitelaw, Sione Mata’utia, Lamar Manuel-Liolevave tries Jackson Hastings 4 goals) defeated New Zealand Residents 18 years 28


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

ASSRL Book " In A Class of their Own"

Notice Board

 2018 AGM and Council Meeting

10.00am Saturday 24th November, Rugby League Central, Sydney


2019 March Council Meeting

10.00am Saturday 16 March, Rugby League Central, Sydney


2019 July Council Meeting

Thursday 4 July, Brisbane, QLD


2019 AGM and Council Meeting

10.00am Saturday 23rd November, Rugby League Central, Sydney


2019 National Championships

15 Years: Sunday 30th June - Friday 5th July (Host Body: QSSRL Venue: Redcliffe, QLD)

18 Years: Sunday 14th - Friday 19th July (Host Body: ACT Venue: Canberra, ACT)