Sail Melbourne Day 2, 3 & 4

Day 2 racing
Phillips/Wilkinson in AUS052
Singapore's Jovin and Desire look back after crossing the line
Barnbrook & Pearce after race 1
McGregor & Tesch after race 1
Phillips/ Wilkinson
Lachlan Clear after coming 2nd
Race 2 underway for the SKUDs
Race 2, Day 2
Liberties cross for race 2
Barry Coates & Jocelyn Neumueller
Tight racing at the close of race 2
Coming to the finish mark - race 2
Close at the line
Rob Eadie crosses the line
Lachlan Clear & Barry Coates
Day 3 - No racing today

In complete contrast to day 1, the second day of Sail Melbourne 2013 dawned cold and grey, with a light drizzle greeting the fleet as they hit the water.

Wind conditions were very light, so the competitors spent quite a bit of time awaiting the wind and race management had to abandon one race and adjust the courses as the wind refused to cooperate.

When racing finally got underway, overnight co-leaders in the SKUD18 fleet, Jovin Tan and Desiree Lim revelled in the light conditions and, continuing their good form from day one, had a win in the first race from Ame Barnbrook & Brett Pearce and Duncan McGregor & Liesl Tesch, who then took the honours the second race. Overall results see the Singapore team currently one point clear from McGregor/Tesch after the second day’s racing.

In the Liberty event, South Australia’s Bob Schahinger continued his dominance over the field with another two bullets in today’s races. Racing was very close between the rest of the fleet, with Barry Coates from Queensland and Lachlan Clear from New South Wales sharing the minor placing’s in the two races. In the second race, the wind was dying out as the sailors came towards the finish mark and you could have thrown a blanket over 4 of the boats as they made their way across the line.

Two more races are scheduled for tomorrow when stronger winds are forecast.

Results and tracking information for the SKUD 18's can be found at the event website -

http://sailmelbourne.com.au/website/results.html

Day 3 saw grey skies, heavy rain, strong winds and a confused sea state. The Liberty and SKUD fleets were to sail at 3pm. however the morning fleets were all held ashore, before finally being allowed on the water one hour late. Several were towed back in with broken masts, and so the Liberty and SKUD18 sailors waited for Race Management to decide upon their fate. The temperature dropped dramatically and the strong southerly continued, so finally Race Management called off any racing for our fleets.

Thursday's weather forecast has looked bleak all week, but we will keep our fingers crossed that they can get on the water at some point.

Day 4 followed in the same pattern as day three, with the Liberties and SKUDS being cancelled for the day shortly before their scheduled race time. Winds gusting over 30 knots and high seas saw the AP flag up at the start of the day, with the racing finally being called off at 11am.

An earlier start is expected tomorrow where we hope to get in several races.

 

 

 

 




Comments

Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

Photo Gallery