History of the Club
1837 was the year in which Melbourne was named and its first streets surveyed. Charles Dickens published Oliver Twist and a major crisis occurred in US banks.
September 2nd, 1837, also saw a report published in the Launceston newspaper "The Cornwall Chronicle" of the formation of the Tamar Yacht Club "with eight yachts and plans to hold a regatta on the occasion of the Queen's Birthday". This report is the basis for Tamar Yacht Club's claim to be the oldest yacht club
in the southern hemisphere.
The Club went on to establish a clubhouse and jetty at Park Street, Launceston. A slip yard was built to provide maintenance facilities for member's boats. Racing and cruising was conducted from this base, with a Start/Finish "box" constructed in the nearby Royal Park grounds.
In 1955 the Club purchased a new clubhouse at 7 Park Street, next to the slip yard. This development resulted in a booming increase in membership.
In 1996 the Club purchased the Beauty Point Marina to provide safe mooring facilities for the club member's craft. This, together with the re-vitalised junior development program, was the catalyst for yet another surge in membership. The Club's facilities in Park Street expanded, with the purchase of a home adjoining the slip yard. This was converted into club rooms and later extended to provide for the expanding membership.
2008 saw some significant changes at the Tamar Yacht Club. The opening of a new club house in the grounds of the Beauty Point Marina, in addition to the facilities in Launceston, some 37nm away, has enabled a wider program of sailing events and activities.
Sound management by the General Committee and staff, over a very long time, has positioned the Tamar Yacht Club in a strong position to provide excellence in yachting and associated activities, for the future.
Last Modified on 13/10/2013 20:43