Docklands Yacht Club overlooks Victoria Harbour with sweeping views of the Melbourne City skyline and the ever changing Docklands precinct. From January 2016, sailing will take place from the 60 metre pontoon at our new premises - the Community Boating Hub, 912 Collins Street, adacent to the Library at Dock Square. Community Sailing days are normally the second and fourth Sunday of each month year round from 11am but are subject to change (check Calendar page for more details). Everyone is welcome. We supply the boats, lifejackets and instruction.
Come Try Racing at Docklands
If you have ever wanted to learn more about racing, but didn't know how to go about it - here's a great opportunity.
Docklands Yacht Club, in association with the Hansa Class Association and Sailability Victoria, is arranging a “Come and Try” day on the 20th of September 2015, a gentle no-stress introduction to the competitive aspects of sailing.
- from 10:00 - setup, launching, site familiarisation
- 10:30–12:30 on-shore talks and training. Some rules, but more focus on how sailboat racing works, with comments from experienced and newbie racers on how the pieces fit together.
- 12:30–1:30 break for lunch
- 1:30–4:00 On-the-water practical sessions A progressive program: beginning with some starting drills and moving on to a series of short races.
- 4:00 onwards Derigging and packup
$10 per participant. You’ll also need a boat for the practical session: Docklands Yacht Club has a number of boats for hire for the practical session at $15 per boat for the day (one boat can carry one or two participants), and for those bringing their own there is ample parking.
- Consider the weather and dress appropriately: we recommend sunglasses, a windproof jacket, and long trousers. Docklands is salt water, so expensive leather shoes and belts aren’t a good idea.
- If you don't have a lifejacket, we can supply you with one.
- You’ll want a watch with a second hand for the practical session: your hands will be full, so a phone is no good. It doesn’t have to be an expensive or fancy watch, or any more than splash resistant.
- Docklands YC is eight hundred metres away from the nearest shop, so you might want to bring a cut lunch.
- Bookings are required. The number of boats available from the Club are limited, so get in early.
- For bookings, boat hire enquiries, or if you have any further questions, please contact DYC Secretary Louis Patterson on 0431 786 016 or at email@example.com
Docklands Yacht Club is located at Shed 2 North Wharf Rd. Drive down Collins Street, past the Library and out along North Wharf Road. Shed 2 is the last shed before the large dirt carpark area. Tram 11 & 48 will bring you to the end of Collins Street, where it around a 800m walk to the Club.