The Hampden Hurricanes thank the following Sponsors for their support.
Subway Homemaker Centre
Peoples Choice Credit Union
Rotary Club of Warrnambool Daybreak
Southern Way Direct Care
South West Credit
South West Sport
Soulsby & Struth
Warrnambool RV & Caravan Centre
Sinclair & Wilson
Mc Neils BP
To provide a sustainable football program for people with disabilities aged 14 years and over living in the south west of Victoria.
• To develop a partnership approach to program provision
• To run a series of ‘Come & Try’ football clinics for ...people of all abilities, with each clinic to include a range of drills, games and exercises
• To link in with state-wide initiatives
• To identify a modified rules format that could be tailored to individual needs
• To promote club participation and develop pathways for participants to compete in mainstream competition and FIDA competitions
• To promote healthy eating and active participation.
The story so far…...
In August 2012 a ‘Footy 4 All’ program was established to provide a sustainable football program for people with disabilities aged 16 years and over living in the south west of Victoria.
The South West Disability Network (a partnership of south west Disability Support agencies) helped to identify a number of people interested in playing ‘Aussie Rules’ football. While opportunities existed for club involvement there were limited opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in training and to play competitively.
Warrnambool City Council’s Rural Access program, in partnership with South West Sport, Hampden Football League, the Football Integration Development Association (FIDA) and local disability service agencies developed a steering group to progress the opportunity.
Over 40 players aged between 17-65 years participated in the six one-hour training sessions held in August and September 2012. Sessions included training drills and modified games facilitated by local well-known football identities. The last training session concluded with a barbecue and medal presentation for participants and supporters. With family, friends and supporters in attendance, training sessions attracted over 100 people.
In 2013 the ‘Footy 4 All’ program has continued with over 40 registrations received and a new team name introduced, the Hampden Hurricanes.
On June 2nd 2013 the Hampden Hurricanes played their first game against the Coburg Tigers. The team managed to kick 7 - 9 (51) to Coburgs 13-10 (88).