In addition to Netball Australia's General Code of Behaviour, as a parent/guardian or a player in any activity held by or under the auspcies of Netball Victoria, a Region, and Affiliated Association or an Affiliated Club, you must meet the following requirements in regard to your conduct during any such activity or event:
- If your child is interested, encourage them to participate in the appropriate netball activity. However, if your child is not willing to participate, do not force him or her. Remember, your children are involved in organised activity for their enjoyment, not yours.
- Focus upon your child's efforts and performance rather than the overall outcome of the event. This assists your child in setting realistic goals related to his/her ability by reduced the emphasis on winning.
- Teach your child that an honest effort is as important as victory, so that the result of each game is accepted without undue disappointment.
- Encourage your child to always play according to the rules.
- Never ridicule or yell at a child for making a mistake or losing a game.
- Remember that children learn best from example. Applaud good play by all players.
- If you disagree with an umpire or coach, raise the issue through the appropriate channels rather than question their judgement and honest in public.
- Support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse.
- Recognise and respect the value and importance of volunteer administrators, coaches and umpires. They give up their time and resources to provide recreational activities for players and deserve your support.
- Be a model of good sports behaviour for children to copy.
- Be courteous in communication with administrators, coaches, players and umpires. Teach children to do likewise.
- Support the use of age appropriate development activities and modified rules.
Netball Victoria Participation Infonet: P6
Parent/Guardian Code of Behavior