Youth Champions Cup '08
Inaugural International Event
The Cook Islands Football Association is looking to host an international U17 Girls and U16 Boys challenge tournament in 2008 to support its 2007-2010 National Youth Development Program. The Cook Islands FA acknowledges that the stepping levels from domestic football to regional international football is a big step, therefore putting in one or two interim levels within the program is one such answer the FA has recognised his program may bring to assist in the transition. Inviting good International teams hopefully may add a higher competitive edge to the tournament as well.
Specifically, the purpose of the tournament is to establish a regular high quality competition pathway for its grassroots and junior development. What a better location to have it than on Rarotonga - already an attractive tourism destination location at the home of football.
Currently The FA's junior program culminates in the bi-annual national age group 16 Girls and U15 Boys which was completed recently. This intended international event is the next step in the development program which takes the best of those young players to the next level before entering into the entry level OFC regional tournaments of U17 Boys & U17 Girls. The FA would like to start with the successful template of the national championship with a limited number of teams and perhaps build on the success of this tournament to expand the number of teams for the next. The dates CIFA is planning for the tournament is 5-13 July 2008.
For its inaugural start in 2008 CIFA is planning to accept up to 16 international teams in the following age group category;
- U16 Boys - 6 Teams (Born 1992 or younger*)
- U17 Girls - 6 Teams ( Born 1991 or younger*)
- Team are urged to register early to secure their place by paying their Registration Fees early. With the interest very high, registration may close earlier than stated.
- The Cook Islands will enter 2 Boys & 2 Girls representative teams and 12 places is allocated for International teams i.e. 6 Boys & 6 Girls with two Pools of 4 for both categories.
- One Cook Islands team in each category will be seeded into each pool before the rest of the Pool Teams are drawn in. The Date of Birth guide line is taken from 1st January 2008.
It is intended to host the games in 5-13 July 2008 period to coincide with the second week of school holidays of both NZ and Australia, of course subject to final confirmation and the response from international teams. More information will be posted on the website soon.
- Teams may arrive 1-2 days prior to the proposed start date of 5-13 July 2008.
- The tournament is planned to take place over a 8-day period.
- 4th Fri - Welcome Opening & Technical Team Meeting
- 5th Sat- Pool Games (PM)
- 6th Sun - Rest Day, Team Activities
- 7th Mon - Pool Games (PM)
- 8th Tue - Pool Games (PM)
- 9th Wed - Rest Day & Technical Team Meeting, Team Activities day
- 10th Thur - Semi Finals (PM)
- 11th Fri - Placing Games - 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th & Rest days for Finalists
- 12th Sat - 3rd Placing, Finals & Teams Farewell Function in the Evening & exchange of gifts
All the games will be played at the CIFA Academy on two fields, Matavera, home of Football in the Cook Islands on the main island of Rarotonga.
- The two categories Boys & Girls teams will be in two pools of 4, and will play Round Robin games in the first three days.
- The Top two teams and Runners up in the Pool Play will play-of in the Semis.
- The 3rd & 4th placed teams in the Pool play will play off against each other for 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th placing
- The Winners in the Semis will play in the Finals to determine the Winners and Runners Up
- The losers of the Semis will play off for 3rd and 4th Placing
- This ensures all teams will play no less than 4 games.
Winners - Gold Medals
Runners Up - Silver Medal
Third - Bronze
Fair Play - Team Award for least no. of cautions over the tournament
Golden Boots- Top Goal Scorer (Boys)
Golden Boots - Top Goal Scorer (Girls)
Silver Boots - Second top Goal Scorer (Boys)
Silver Boots - Second top Goal Scorer (Girls)
For specific inquiries please email Alex Napa.